Author Topic: [Solved] Metal working?  (Read 102 times)

• Online Juliana
    • Juliana
    • 6 Posts
    [Solved] Metal working?
    « on: August 10, 2017, 06:07:57 AM »
    I am working on my first character, and I was curious about metal working/jewelers as an occupation for her family.  My idea is that her paternal side of the family has been working with metal to make weapons, furniture, and jewelry.  Is this possible, or rather likely in the wizarding world?
    « Last Edit: August 11, 2017, 08:39:26 AM by JT »

• Offline JT
  • Re: Metal working?
    « Reply #1 on: August 10, 2017, 04:55:21 PM »
    Hi Juliana!

So glad for you to join our community. Yes, this would be an acceptable line of work. From the books, goblins are famous for metalworking, able to create weapons and jewellery of unparalleled quality. However, considering that wizards and goblins haven't always had friendly relations, there are probably plenty of wizard smiths out there creating items for those who'd rather not deal with goblins. If you see your character's family owning a shop to sell their wares, you can also create a shop listing once you're char is sorted.

If you have any other questions about your character or other input, feel free to ask away!

~ JT

• Online Sophie
  • Re: Metal working?
    « Reply #2 on: August 10, 2017, 06:49:23 PM »
    Hi Juliana!

Ditto to what JT said -- I think based on the books it definitely sounds like wizards have been trying to compete with the goblins (though generally not making things quite as valuable/powerful).

I just want to add that if you are planning to have your character come from a wealthy family, then you will need to apply for that status. You can read more here. This isn't necessary, but just keep it in mind when you are writing your sheet. It can take a bit of time for an application to go through so if you are eager to get sorted, just be sure to keep the extent of the business in the "typical" to "upper middle class" range.

Sophie

• Online Juliana
    • Juliana
    • 6 Posts
    Re: Metal working?
    « Reply #3 on: August 11, 2017, 08:24:42 AM »
    Thanks JT and Sophie!  I thought that would be the case, but I wanted to make sure, and I will keep the advice about the rich application handy.  Y'all can mark this as solved!