Author Topic:  Special Feature Advice  (Read 27894 times)

• Offline Albus Dumbledore
  • Special Feature Advice
    « on: July 21, 2008, 06:08:52 AM »

If you have an idea for a Special Feature for your character you can come here to get some feedback. This topic is not the place where you apply for a special ability. Here, you can ask for advice on features listed in our guides as well as for original features.

Please fill in the following spine and post a reply in this topic to get advice:

Your Name: (your name or online alias)
    Character: (your character's name & link to the sheet/sandbox)
    Character Summary: (if you don't have a sheet or sandbox post with information about your character you should give us a short summary here including age, location and some personality traits of your new character)
    Special Feature: (the feature you are applying for or considering)
    Questions: (What do you want to know? Please make sure that you have sensible questions and don't ask which feature you should apply for. We expect that you have given this some thought before asking for advice.)
    Admins, Members or Both?: (who do you want to comment?)

Code: [Select]
    [color=#85bc94][b]Your Name:[/b][/color]
    [color=#85bc94][b]Character:[/b][/color]
    [color=#85bc94][b]Character Summary:[/b][/color]
    [color=#85bc94][b]Special Feature:[/b][/color]
    [color=#85bc94][b]Questions:[/b][/color]
    [color=#85bc94][b]Admins, Members or Both?:[/b][/color]
    « Last Edit: November 08, 2010, 02:38:32 PM by Alla Chaikovskaya »

• Offline Evelyn Sartell
    • Ashlin
    • PAN
    • 13 Posts
    Re: Special Feature Advice
    « Reply #1 on: August 11, 2017, 12:37:28 PM »
    Your Name: Ash
    Character: Evelyn Sartell
    Character Summary: http://www.magical-hogwarts.org/rpg/index.php?topic=163127.0
    Special Feature: Occlumency
    Questions: Are there jobs for adults that involve this trait/skill? What are the base requirements needed in backstory to justify having an affinity for and developing it. If it negatively affects any other area of magic?
    Admins, Members or Both?:?
    There is always a way~

• Offline Dylan
  • Re: Special Feature Advice
    « Reply #2 on: August 11, 2017, 01:57:42 PM »
    Your Name: Ash
    Character: Evelyn Sartell
    Character Summary: http://www.magical-hogwarts.org/rpg/index.php?topic=163127.0
    Special Feature: Occlumency
    Questions: Are there jobs for adults that involve this trait/skill? What are the base requirements needed in backstory to justify having an affinity for and developing it. If it negatively affects any other area of magic?
    Admins, Members or Both?:?

Hey Ash! I'm Dylan, one of the admins here.

I looked over your character notes and you've got a really great start!

Occlumency is a skill that takes years to master to any useful level of proficiency. For example my character Basil is eighteen and has been studying occlumency since he was ten and is only moderately proficient. A fourteen year would not have much ability in occlumency, but would still be able to out the training aspects if that's what interests you. She could be just starting out. The "base requirements" would consist of years of devoted study and high level of magical skill.

As far as professions that use that ability, an auror or unspeakable would certainly make use of their ability frequently. A career criminal might also make use of this skill depending on their area of expertise.

Occlumency does not affect other areas of magic, but can be physically and mentally exhausting which could cause a temporary decreased efficacy of other magic, but nothing long term.

One thing to keep in mind is that we highly recommend new drivers wait until they have at least one sorted character before applying for a special feature. Part of the approval process stems from driver activity and responsibility. We to see how new drivers will play characters without special features before granting them a special feature.

I hope that answered your question! Feel free to PM me with any other questions!

• Offline Evelyn Sartell
    • Ashlin
    • PAN
    • 13 Posts
    Re: Special Feature Advice
    « Reply #3 on: August 11, 2017, 09:53:23 PM »
    That's fair ^^ of the things that i may need approval for this one is the easiest to remove from my backstory. Cheers :)
    There is always a way~