Author Topic: [Solved] Wandmakers?  (Read 222 times)

• Online Sunny.
  • [Solved] Wandmakers?
    « on: October 12, 2017, 05:44:37 PM »
    Hey everyone!

If your student was entering Hogwarts in the '97 - '98 school year (Deathly Hallows), Ollivander's would have been closed that fall of 97' so I presume they would have obtained their wands elsewhere?

Is there an official MH understanding on this?

Thank you all for your wealth of information and assistance :P
    « Last Edit: October 12, 2017, 09:53:50 PM by Ashton »

• Offline Ashton
  • Re: Wandmakers?
    « Reply #1 on: October 12, 2017, 05:48:53 PM »
    @Taed is the resident wand expert and plays Mr. Ollivander so I'm going to forward this question his direction <33

• Online Sunny.
    « Reply #2 on: October 12, 2017, 06:06:14 PM »
    Ok, perfect! ty @Ashton ... I did some digging around on the HP Lexicon, Pottermore and the HP Wiki, but I can't really find anything about who became the primary supplier of wands to Hogwarts students when Ollivander's closed down. or if there even was one!

I know there is a lot of user-created lore on MH so I wanted to check on that before I wrote anything concrete. Thanks for your help too @Taed

• Offline Garrick Ollivander
    « Reply #3 on: October 12, 2017, 06:42:04 PM »
    "Talking of Diagon Alley," said Mr. Weasley, "looks like Ollivander's gone too."

"The wand-maker?" said Ginny, looking startled.

"That's the one. Shop's empty. No sign of a struggle. No one knows whether he left voluntarily or was kidnapped."

"But wands--what'll people do for wands?"

"They'll make do with other makers," said Lupin. "But Ollivander was the best, and if the other side have got him it's not so good for us."

Note above, from Half-Blood Prince, that actually Ollivander's was closed from sometime in July 1996 until after his rescue in early 1998.

There were other wand vendors for sure in Diagon Alley, such as Jimmy Kiddell's Wonderful Wands and a few secondhand shops. For actual wandmakers, I'm sure there were a few hobbyists scattered throughout the UK and Europe, but as far as big-name manufacturers the nearest one to England would have been Gregorovitch Zauberstäbe (canon) in Germany just west of the Polish border, or Feine Klassische Zauberstäbe (non-canon) in Vienna, Austria.

I don't believe there is an "official" MH line on where students would get their wands, because it was all in what connexions your family had/has and how far you're willing to travel or how much you're willing to pay to get something close to Ollivander's quality.
    « Last Edit: October 12, 2017, 06:46:21 PM by Taed »

• Online Sunny.
    « Reply #4 on: October 12, 2017, 07:56:44 PM »
    oh yea I wasn't implying that Ollivander's closed down in '97, just that it was closed during that time frame! but thank you for explaining :P so just to be clear - I have the option to take creative freedom on this if my character's family had connections with a privately-owned wandmaker?

• Offline Taed
    « Reply #5 on: October 12, 2017, 08:25:15 PM »
    oh yea I wasn't implying that Ollivander's closed down in '97, just that it was closed during that time frame! but thank you for explaining :P so just to be clear - I have the option to take creative freedom on this if my character's family had connections with a privately-owned wandmaker?

I would say yes, you have that creative freedom, provided (as with all aspects of a character profile) that it's reasonable and realistic within the scope of your family's background. Otherwise I'd suggest that perhaps a group of parents and their children did a large group trip to the mainland to get some foreign wands, or bought secondhand.

MondayTuesdayWednesdayThursdayFridaySaturdaySunday
    Oct 9
    work 0800-1630
    work 0800-1630
    work 0800-1630
    choir 1700-1800
    Bible st 1830-1930
    work 0700-1530
    game? 1600-2330
    work 0800-1630
    gone LARPing
    14 gone LARPing15 church 0830-1300

• Offline Lwineah
    « Reply #6 on: October 12, 2017, 08:29:33 PM »
    Just dropping in, if the charrie is pureblood than there's also a possibility they can have a wand that is inherited between some members or like a family treasure and she would be the one to claim the wand. I have @Tsukishima Arashi and his wand was a old family treasure as it had a hair of Kitsune at the core. Tsukki was the first to claim this wand in his family :)

• Online Sunny.
    « Reply #7 on: October 12, 2017, 08:32:19 PM »
    @Taed that makes perfect sense... in my case, my character would definitely have a reasonable family connection to an independent wandmaker, as her father owns a business where he deals valuable/precious wizarding antiques and artifacts.

@Lwineah I love that idea...thank you for sharing, I did actually consider that as an option! but I so badly want to write her "wand choosing" ceremony lol

• Offline Lwineah
    « Reply #8 on: October 12, 2017, 08:35:09 PM »
    Haha I understand that xD
    I really wannaplay out wand choosing ceremony IC once >.> but I don't have any so young charries xD

• Offline Ashton
    « Reply #9 on: October 12, 2017, 09:53:32 PM »
    I'm going to mark this as solved!